I love this recipe! It is so adaptable to whatever you have on hand. And when my husband went back for a third helping stating how good he thought it was, I knew it was a winner I had to share!
Author: Mark Bittman
Cuisine: Main Course
This recipe has been adapted from one of my personal fav's: The Food Matters Cookbook. Feel free to use what you have in the fridge to make this your own too!
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 cup any long-grain brown rice salt
- 1 lb broccoli, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 1 lb cubed pressed tofu extra-firm
- ½ tsp red chile flakes, or to taste
- lemon wedges
- Put rice in pan and add water to cover by 1 inch.
- Add a pinch of salt and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Adjust so mixture bubbles gently.
- Cover and cook until most of water is absorbed and rice is just getting tender, 20-30 mins.
- Pack the broccoli and tofu into the pan on top of the rice- don't stir; just leave it on top, and add a little more liquid if water is evaporating too quickly.
- Replace lid and continue cooking, adding a small amount of water if pan boils dry, until rice and broccoli are both tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer rice and broccoli to bowl with sunflower seeds and raisins then toss with oil and red chile flakes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed, serve warm or at room temperature, squeezing lemon wedges over top.
- * I also added red onion, zucchini, half of a leftover sweet potato, and a sprinkle of feta cheese.