A good friend of mine recommended a book that I have loved since I first read it. I refer to it often-especially when I am looking for seasonal recipes. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is a great book to change one’s habitudes on food. It is a heart warming story, and the perfect kitchen resource!
Foods to look for that are currently in season include:
Chard and other greens
Green onions and scallions
Strawberries (April-June in California and Florida)
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- medium onion
- chopped garlic to taste
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- ½ cup dried tomatoes
- 1 large bunch of chard or spring greens
- 8 eggs
- Cook rice with 4 cups water in a covered pot while other ingredients are being prepared.
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil in a wide skillet until lightly golden.
- Add carrots and sauté for a few more minutes, adding just enough water to rehydrate the tomatoes.
- Mix greens with other vegetables and cover pan for a few minutes. Uncover, stir well, then use the back of a spoon to make depressions in the cooked leaves, circling the pan like numbers on a clock.
- Break an egg into each depression, being careful to keep yolks whole. Cover pan again and allow eggs to poach for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve over rice.
This is a great week night recipe that you can feel good about eating. This Spring, remember to eat clean and train dirty!