This month it is back to school for families and back to basics for my fitness classes. We are measuring power, strength, and intensity all month-long! I am issuing out a strength and toning challenge that we will be incorporating into our training sessions to focus on those lean legs and beautiful backs. Biceps, triceps, and coconut shoulders will look and feel amazing as the sweat drips off your brow and stings your eyes while you perform your perfectly formed planks and push ups!
This workout can be done at home with only a set of dumbbells. Join in on this Lean and Mean September Challenge!
Lean and Mean September Challenge!
Work it 2-3 times per week and watch the transformation!
(Here is a tip for choosing the appropriate amount of weight: you want to work to fatigue. The only way strength training is really going to benefit you is for you to overload the muscles. The weight you select should be challenging enough to fatigue your muscles within 8-20 repetitions. With the high reps in this program, you will start at a lower weight and work up from there!)
Perform 20 of everything, working up to 2-3 times through!
1. Bicep Curls – then immediately hold your weights in your hands and perform 30 seconds jump rope while the weights are still in your hands. If this gets too heavy or produces bad pain – stop!
2. Tricep Press with Arms Straight (can use dumbbells) – then immediately hold your weights in your hands and perform 30 seconds jump rope while the weights are still in your hands.
3. Tricep Extension – then immediately hold your weights in your hands and perform 30 seconds jump rope while the weights are still in your hands.
4. Shoulder Press – then immediately hold your weights in your hands and perform 30 seconds jump rope while the weights are in still your hands.
5. Bent Over Rear Fly’s just like a bear hug, your arms do not change – then immediately hold your weights in your hands and perform 30 seconds jump rope while the weights are still in your hands.
1. Sumo Squat with calf raise when you come up 25 repetitions working up to 5 times through!
2. Alternating Curtsey Lunge (with or without weight. knee tuck option.) (15 each side) working up to 3 times through!
3. Side lunge with knee raise 25 repetitions on each side, working up to 4 times through!
You may super set these moves, meaning you can move from one exercise right into the next!
I would love for you to take some measurements, check how your clothes fit, take some before and after photos, or just observe or have a love one observe how your body changes. I recognize the way muscle tone improves a person’s posture. They start to carry themselves differently, and clothes shopping becomes fun! Strength and endurance improves not just in workouts, but in everyday tasks like lawn work, house work, carrying kids around, and even sitting properly at a desk all day. With increased muscles mass, you will have an increased metabolism. More muscles means less body fat and increased energy, stamina, and flexibility. I also appreciate this article on The Emotional Benefits of Weight Lifting.
Take on this September challenge and then check in with us on FB, Twitter, or Instagram with #habitudeleanandmean!
Let me know when you feel the strongest, are working out like a beast, found a great article, need encouragement, or think your biceps look awesome! I sense this community will do a fantastic job at holding each other up!Your Trainer,