Have you heard of Spirulina? The more I read about this blue algae supplement, the more I am convinced to have it be a steady part of my diet.
Health Benefits of Spirulina are used for:
- Recovery after illness
- Weakness, fatigue
- Severe mental and physical effort
- Obesity, fat metabolism problems
- Pregnancy, menstrual disorders, menopause
- Complaints of the skin, hair and nails
- Cleaning of waste in the body
- weak immune system
- Stabilizing blood sugar levels
- Anemia (B12, folic acid, chlorophyll, iron)
- liver disorders
- Ulcers (chlorophyll covers the irritated stomach lining)
Check out this article from benefits-of-spirulina.com
The Spirulina I consume comes from the Raw Organic Green Super Food powder I purchase from Vitacost.com. This powder also includes probiotics, fruit and vegetable blends, organic sprouts, and other raw green super foods such as alfalfa grass juice and organic wheat grass juice.
I especially enjoy mixing it in a protein pancake in the morning of after a tough workout. By purchasing the food in powder form, it can easily adapt to many clever recipes and smoothies, or simply be added to water to drink as a healthy juice.
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 scoop of brown rice protein powder
- 1-2 Tablespoons unsweetened milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- Toppings of choice
1. In a small bowl mix together the egg whites, protein powder, milk, and chia seeds until all the powder is dissolved. I find that a whisk does a great job for mixing in the protein powder. (I also use my emulsion blender.)
2. Stir in the mashed banana.
3. Spray a medium-sized pan with cooking spray and set heat to low-medium (I use the number 3 on my stove). The lower heat is the key to making sure the pancake doesn’t burn.
4. Pour in pancake batter and cook until little bubbles form (about 5 minutes). Make sure the pancake is “set-up” enough before you flip or else you’ll end up with a scramble. Carefully flip the pancake over to the other side.
5. Cook until pancake is done in the middle. It typically takes another 2-3 minutes.
6. Place pancake on a plate, top with toppings and enjoy!
Spirulina Green Juice
1 English cucumber
2 medium sized apples
1 small lemon or lime 1 teaspoon Spirulina powder
Lastly, please take a few minutes to check out what Dr. Mercola has to say about Spirulina!