TGIF! How was your week? Are you ready to kick you feet up and relax? Don’t call out for pizza just yet! Here is an easy and delicious recipe that is not only healthy, but is inexpensive as well. I enjoy all of its attributes and can usually find the ingredients in my kitchen.
Beans Rancheros from Mark Bittman’s “The Food Matters Cookbook”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cooked or canned pinto or black beans, drained
- 1 or 2 canned chipotle chiles, minced, with some of their adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 to 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped OR 1 14-ounce diced tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup chopped scallions, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degree. Coat a 9-inch-square baking dish or ovenproof skillet with the oil. Add beans, chipotles and adobo, cumin and a sprinkling of salt and pepper and roughly mash the mixture with a potato masher or fork. Stir in the tomatoes and transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake until the mixture is hot, bubbly and some of the liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. (The dish can be prepared ahead at this point and refrigerated for up to a day; bring to room temperature before proceeding.)
- Make four indentations in the beans with the back of a spoon. Crack 1 egg into each hole, sprinkling the eggs with salt and pepper, and return the pan to the oven. Bake until the yolks are still jiggly and the whites have turned opaque (or longer if you want the eggs cooked firm), 10 to 20 minutes. Garnish with scallions and serve with lime wedges.
If you do not try this recipe tonight, I encourage you to try it sometime soon and please let me know how you liked it…or didn’t!